Bike ride to demonstrate bike/car equality today at 5:30 on the square in Kirksville. Come dressed for a dip in the kiddie pool.
Any ideas for next month’s theme?
We’re pickling just about everything these days. Here’s another one we did, following the directions at How to Pickle Anything. We used Zucchini, Carrot, Basil, Garlic, and Onions. Mmmmmmm.
So, how do we use up that much garlic before it goes bad? Ferment it.
From what we’ve read in Wild Fermentation by Sandor Ellix Katz, it will keep its pungency for sauteing. Also, I would assume it would be especially potent raw garlic medicine with the added lacto-life.
The most time consuming part was peeling the cloves.
Peel all your garlic cloves, and put them in whatever sized mason jar you anticipate filling. The cloves sink in the brine, so don’t worry too much about filling the jar all the way if you don’t have enough. Your brine solution should be approximately 3/4 Tbsp/1 cup water. Mix up enough brine to cover the garlic and set it off in a nice place to ferment. We put ours in the basement, and we’ll stick it in the fridge when it smells nice and fermented. Since it’s so warm now, we’ll probably leave it out 2 or so weeks.
Our friend and biking superhero Emily/Stardust made a sign for the front of the house. It’s resting next to a flag pole support on the front of the house.
The next question is, what kind of flag should we put up?
Emily is currently planning a superhero service bike ride through Mexico for this winter. If that sounds appealing, we can send you her contact.
Many thanks Stardust for the beautiful sign!
Our rain barrels are finished, full, and functioning. The 1 inch of rain we got over the last 2 days on the 187.5 square foot section of our roof filled them to capacity, which, with overflow space, is about 180-200 gallons.
We used PEX tubing after reading about the potential toxicities of PVC, although, we’re convinced that PEX just hasn’t been tested enough to have found any toxicities, since that just seems how it goes. For the meantime, it works pretty well though. There are no glues to bond, the cuts can be crudely made with a hacksaw, and the tubing is flexible and cheap. All pluses to us, but we weren’t able to find anyone online who has used it on a rain barrel set-up before.
Here’s what we did.
There is one veeeeeery slow leak (the sun nearly dries the leak up as it falls). I have actually yet to see it drip, but water beads on the underside of it and there is a water spot under a PEX T adapter. With that being the only issue, it’s a definite success.
There is sufficient water pressure with the barrels being 3 feet off the ground to use a 50 foot hose to water the garden. We can spray (with our thumb over the end of the hose) the water about 8 feet. Enough to get the job done. If we had put another T adapter on the main line and fit the hose bib there, it theoretically should have had 4x the water pressure, but I’m not positive. We didn’t want to spring the extra 8 bucks for the adapter, and this system seems to function well.
That brings the entire set-up for us to $95. We successfully made a 4 rain barrel, 200 gallon rain catchment system for well under the cost of a single commercial rain barrel.
There will certainly be variations on other’s set-ups, but those were the real costs for us to build our rain barrel catchment system.
Overall the set-up is functional, aesthetically pleasing, and gives us about 200 gallons of water (less than 220 due to the placement of the overflow) to use on the garden when the rain isn’t enough. I plan to put together some kind of pdf/zine on building the rain barrels this way, but if you want to talk to us about this set up and its advantages and disadvantages, or have any ideas on how to improve the system, contact us and we’ll talk rain barrels.
The garden is going strong and giving us a steadier stream of harvest. We’re picking a few beans a day, and a cucumber or squash every few days. The bounty is approaching!
We pulled our garlic and onions on Friday/Saturday. They did well, especially considering the wet season. We’ll be expanding planting for next year since we have more space to plant in now. We harvested a little under 40 heads of garlic, most of the big ones to be saved for replanting in the fall, and we haven’t yet weighed our onion harvest.
The garlic is hanging in the garage, and we’re curing the onions on a bed sheet over a reclaimed futon frame that we repaired the structure on using twine. All seems to be going well!