The bike wheel trellis is holding up supremely well.
It’s been through several major storms and battled high winds with ease. It’s as easy as it looks, and the luffa’s love it.
Part 1 of the pole bean trellis is finished, with the addition being finished tomorrow. Here’s the work in progress. Also, a picture of the freshly painted garage. The paint was “oops” paint from Home Depot. Basically, whenever a paint bucket gets tinted incorrectly, they sell it for super cheap. We got 5 gallons for $15.
When it warms up, the plants just grow so quickly. Before you know it they’re all grown up, showing off to some pollinator, and bearing fruit.
We worked from Wednesday through Tuesday, establishing our gardens and planting onions. Lots of Communiversity Garden members came out to help, as well as our good friend Tim who was visiting from Albuquerque on his way to Austin. There’s still more work to be done, but the majority of it is finished.
The onions and garlic are planted on New Street at a community garden established there.
The method we used for established the garden at the KPEC was to use garden forks lift out the sod, let the soil dry out for a day, broad fork the bed to loosen and aerate the soil, sprinkle a layer of shredded leaf mulch over the bed, flip the sod back on grass side down to compost with the leaf layer, then finish it off with another layer of mulch. We’ll be letting it break down over the next few weeks.